If You Give A Toddler A Book…

[By L.R.Knost, author of  Two Thousand Kisses a Day: Gentle Parenting Through the Ages and StagesWhispers Through Time: Communication Through the Ages and Stages of Childhood, and The Gentle Parent: Positive, Practical, Effective Discipline available on Amazon and through other major retailers.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you give a toddler a book

He’ll climb into your lap

While he’s in your lap

He might lay his head on your chest

When he lays his head on your chest

He’ll hear your heartbeat

When he hears your heartbeat

He’ll probably ask if you can hear his

When you lean down to listen

He might kiss your nose

When he kisses your nose

You could tickle his tummy

When you tickle his tummy

He might giggle and wiggle

When he giggles and wiggles

You’ll want to hug him tight

When you hug him tight

He’ll smile like the sun

When he smiles like the sun

You’ll smile right back

When you smile right back

He might tell you he loves you

When he tells you he loves you

You’ll whisper it back

When you whisper it back

He’ll probably snuggle close

When he snuggles close

He might ask you to read to him

When he asks you to read to him

You’ll read him the book

When you read him the book

He might just learn to love…

To learn!

~L.R.Knost

Raising Bookworms

25 Must-Have Books for Baby Bookworms

25 Must-Have Books for Toddler Bookworms

My Renaissance Girl

Beautiful Minds

Happy Birthday Dr Seuss!

Alphabet Fun~Imagination From A to Z!

Live to Play~Play to Learn~Learn to Live!

A Place for Me

Making Money Matters Make Cents

Playground Confessions~Look Who’s Talking!

One Slippery Sock & Other Silly Tools for your Parenting Toolbox!

1. Who is the author of this lovely post? Is it Laura Numeroff herself?

January 25, 2012 at 1:45 pm

No, just me :)

January 25, 2012 at 1:50 pm

• May I have your permission to read it at a conference? I’ll attribute it to you and your website.

January 25, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Certainly! Thank you for asking!

January 25, 2012 at 1:56 pm

2. I love your take. Just brillant. Could I repost on my blog at http://www.slimybookworm.com/blog crediting you and linking back of course?

January 25, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Of course, thank you for asking!

January 25, 2012 at 2:23 pm

3. Pingback: » Raising Bookworms Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources

4. Pingback: » Alphabet Fun~Imagination from A to Z! Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources

5. Was a precious take on one of my favorite books. I’m getting ready to make a post on Reading to Babies and also a cooking series using Laura Numeroff’s books. Would you mind if I used this crediting you and linking back to your site?

February 15, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Go right ahead! Thank you for asking :)

February 15, 2012 at 7:20 pm

6. Pingback: » A Return to Childhood Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources

7. Pingback: » My Renaissance Girl Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources

8. Pingback: » Making Money Matters Make Cents Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources

9. Pingback: Imagine, Learn, Read: World Read Aloud Day 2012 | Pinwheel Books

10. Pingback: » The Seven Wonders of the World of Childhood Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources

11. Awww.. how SWEET!! I have a 9 week old son (first time mommy) and I am sooo looking forward to moments like these!!

I can’t stop reading your blog and pinning my favorite posts… God is really using you in a special way!!

God bless,

Jenn

March 9, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Thank you, mama! And congratulations on your new little blessing :)

March 9, 2012 at 9:05 pm

12. Pingback: » A Seuss Birthday~A World Book Day~And The Release of The Lorax! Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources

13. Amy Shanahan

I absolutely love this….Can I copy and forward to a friend who works in an independent bookstore…I think it would be such a wonderful thing to post in the children’s section.

March 28, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Certainly! Please just make sure to list L.R.Knost as author so it can be traced back to me :) Thank you for asking!

March 28, 2012 at 6:19 pm

14. Pingback: » Raising Super Readers~The MARVELous Power of Comic Books! Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources

15. Pingback: » 25 Reasons NOT to Keep Your Children Busy this Summer Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources

16. Pingback: » Painting the World Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources

17. Pingback: » Homeschooling Unique Learners Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources

18. Pingback: » Fun with Funoodles! Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources

19. Pingback: » 25 Must-Have Books for Baby Bookworms Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources

20. Pingback: » 25 Must-Have Books for Toddler Bookworms Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources

21. Pingback: » 200 Ways to Bless your Children with a Happy Childhood Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources

22. Pingback: » The Bookshelf: To Read or Not To Read Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources

23. Pingback: » A Toddler’s 12 Days of Christmas Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources

24. Pingback: Helping Unique Learners Find Their Genius ♥ | Little Hearts/Gentle Parenting Resources